leagueofancients.org Forum Index leagueofancients.org
League of Ancients

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

29 Lets Go

Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org Forum Index -> Campaigns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trailape

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: 29 Lets Go Reply with quote

Hi
Andrew and I will kick off a Chain Of Command ‘Pint Size’ Campaign on Sunday.
We’ll play the ‘29 Let’s Go’ PS. focusing on the efforts of the men of the 29th Division on D-Day +2 (8 June 1944) attempt to drive back the men ofvthe Germsn 352nd Division.
The Americans don’t lack the resources but they don’t want to bog down either.
The Germans by contrast are thin on the ground with limited support.
Should be fun.
trailape

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 4:56 am    Post subject: Turn 1 and 2 of 29 Lets Go Reply with quote

29 Lets Go (with Andrew Silk)
Game 1
Table 1

German Support Options:
1 x Tripod Mounted MG42 = 4
1 x Adjutant =1
2 x Minefields = 2
1 x Entrenchments = 1
3 x wire = 3
1 x Medic = 1

US Support Options
2 x BAR teams
1 x .50 Cal HMG
1 x Wire Cutting team

The US advance through the wheat field towards La Cambe with an Engineer Wire cutting team leading and a rifle team from a squad in support.
These troops were supported by a .50 Cal HMG and a pair of BARs on overwatch. Two M4 Sherman’s were also providing overwatch.
Simultaneously a scout team advanced across the open ground towards the German JoP in the orchard.
The Germans didn’t deploy a single team for around 5 phases as they waited for the Americans to get very close, that is to say the Engineers were on the wire and the scouts reached the hedge before the orchard.
Eventually the German engaged both the scouts on the left and the Engineers and riflemen on the right.
After a brief Fire Fight the Engineer Team is reduced to one man who flees to the rear. The Jnr Leader who was leading the Riflemen was wounded also.
The scout team is also wiped out.
The US overwatch replied with the 0.50 Cal causing a couple of casualties in the German ranks.
After a pause a second squad of GIs advance at the double to support the sole engineer and and riflemen.
The fresh rifle team attempts to get around the wire via the road but these men are subjected to THREE successive phases of fire from a German Squad that has deployed behind a hedge on the opposite side of the road. These GIs are wiped out with only the Sgt Squad Leader left alive.
At the same time the sole Engineer is killed.
With German Moral at 7 (down from 10) and the US reduced to 2 (from 9) Andrew withdrew for another attempt.
The Germans win this first encounter 7-0
Andrew conducted a very deliberate and well executed attack,...
We both made a couple of mistakes but ultimately I was just a little luckier than Andrew was by getting a couple of double phases at more opportune times than he did.

When the Americans attack on turn two the Germans quickly retire as they were sure that this second attempt would see the Yanks employing some indirect fire support.
The Germans will make their next stand at Arthenay .

Game 3 sees the German Platoon at full strength and the Americans will have a Fresh platoon.

After Game 1 the Germans are:
5 KIA/WIA (all recovered)
CO opinion is +2
Men’s opinion +1

US Outlook:
Col Goode is ‘Worried’.

Last edited by trailape on Tue May 21, 2019 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Martin

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool!! Any photos?
trailape

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin wrote:
Cool!! Any photos?

Unfortunately I only took two photos right at the start of the game and I'll try and get them posted up asap.
I promise to do better when Andrew and I play the third engagment on the 2nd map / table. We've scheduled that game at the next LoA meeting but if Andrew can swing it maybe he can come up to my place and squeeze the game in early.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org Forum Index -> Campaigns All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: