leagueofancients.org Forum Index leagueofancients.org
League of Ancients

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blucher in May ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org Forum Index -> Napoleonics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 12:16 am    Post subject: Blucher in May ? Reply with quote

So I have no figures Smile but am up for a game ....
Andrew v I

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have figures, but I am now not going to be able to get to the May meeting.

I also have to admit that, having now read Blucher, I am not very enthused. It just seems too "gamey" to me and I can't see the justification for some of the mechanisms. I am inclined to stick with Fast Play Grande Armee.
Richard
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting .

I too was a big fan of FPGA and was underwhelmed on reading the rules . However on playing them they really came to life for me .

Id recommend trying a game ( with someone who knows the rules ) before you judge them , you may have the same reaction as I did
Andrew v I

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe. I did play Blucher at Cold Wars (before I had read Blucher) and I thought at the time that some of the stuff seemed odd. That was confirmed on reading the rules.

With limited time and a lot of other things to do, I'm not sure that I want to get involved in Blucher when I don't see that involvement going anywhere. I am very disappointed by Blucher, as it sounded like it would be a good system (and not be card-based). I am not so keen on historical "simulation" that I want to go back to Empire, but I think that Mustafa's more recent rule sets have lost the balance between playability and historical credibility that made his earlier rules (like Grande Armee and Might and Reason) such a joy to play. Maurice and Blucher might be good games, but I am not sure that they are what I would regard as wargames.
Richard
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are a broad church and it's personal taste so there are no wrong/right answers here .

I think Blucher is better than Maurice . Its not a card system any more than FPGA is .

It's mechanisims are simple but effective and the grand strategic view of the battle works as a result .

However , I loath Empire so maybe its just not for you Laughing
Andrew v I

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I didn't express myself very well. I realise that Blucher is not card-based. That was one reason why I held out high hopes for it.

We can agree on our loathing of Empire.

If there is any interest, I am happy to put on a big FPGA game at the LoAs. I did propose this a couple of years ago, but there wasn't much interest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org Forum Index -> Napoleonics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: